subscribe to current local breaking news The News Review
Search Current Week
  Top Stories  
  Police Reports
  Letters to the Editor
  Community News
  Real Estate
  Food & Wine
  Back Issues
  Digital Edition

  Slide Shows
  Movie Listings
  Community Links
  Legal Notices  
  Public Meetings  
  Service Directory
  Antiques & Such
  Local Businesses

   Bulletin Board

  All Boards

  Send Letter to Editor
  Submit Obituary
  Email us
  Subscribe Now
  News Tips
  Site Help

times/review online


  Staff Roster


  The Suffolk Times

  Shelter Island

  The North Shore Sun

  The Wine Press

Updated: 6/27/2008 - 2:07 PM

Alphonse J. Marissael   0 comments below

Aquebogue resident Alphonse J. Marissael, formerly of Orient, died April 27 at his home. He was 93.

He was born in Belgium on Nov. 9, 1914, and grew up there during World War I. He recounted to his son Ken how he watched fighter planes in dogfights as a young boy.

Mr. Marissael moved to the United States when he was 16. He worked as a bellhop at Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan and took care of Babe Ruth's bags, family members said. In 1942 he enlisted in the Army, serving in North Africa, the Battle of the Bulge and the D-Day Invasion, family said. He was discharged in 1945 and worked as a self-employed floor layer. He retired in 1977 and moved to Orient Point, where he lived for 20 years until moving to Aquebogue nine years ago.

Mr. Marissael was a member of the American Legion in Riverhead and the Riverhead Senior Center.

"He was a very devoted family man. Whatever his family needed he went out of his way to do. He will be missed," Ken Marissael said.

Mr. Marissael enjoyed building things, family said, and put a roof over the deck of his home when he was 87. According to his son, he also began building his own house in Maine and finished the foundation, footing and landscaping. The house was never completed.

Predeceased by his wife, Christiane, in 2004, Mr. Marissael is survived by sons Ken, of East Williston, and Pete, of Frederick, Md.; and three grandchildren.

Family received visitors April 29 at McLaughlin Heppner Funeral Home in Riverhead, where a service was held April 30. Interment with military honors was at Calverton National Cemetery.

Notice about comments:
The Riverhead News-Review is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. The Riverhead News-Review does not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The Riverhead News-Review. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Service and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website.

Add your comments below:

captcha 4b71b18983c64592bab6cbddc1eaf869

0 comments found

Most Popular

Voice your opinion

Start a discussion, join a discussion or make a comment.

Click "Community Bulletin Board" link on the left or "Discuss this story" link at the top of every story to get started.

summer wine press 2007

© Times-Review Newspapers
Terms of Service - Privacy Policy